Safety Checklist for Parents and Providers
- CRIBS: Make sure cribs meet current national safety standards and are in good condition. Look for a certification safety seal. Older cribs may not meet current standards. Crib slats should be no more than 2 3/8" apart, and mattresses should fit snugly.
- SOFT BEDDING: Be sure that no pillows, soft bedding, or comforters are used when you put babies to sleep. Babies should be put to sleep on their backs in a crib with a firm, flat mattress.
- PLAYGROUND SURFACING: Look for safe surfacing on outdoor playgrounds - at least 12 inches of wood chips, mulch, sand or pea gravel, or mats made of safety-tested rubber or rubber-like materials.
- PLAYGROUND MAINTENANCE: Check playground surfacing and equipment regularly to make sure they are maintained in good condition.
- SAFETY GATES: Be sure that safety gates are used to keep children away from potentially dangerous areas, especially stairs.
- WINDOW BLIND AND CURTAIN CORDS: Be sure mini-blinds and Venetian blinds do not have looped cords. Check that vertical blinds, continuous looped blinds, and drapery cords have tension or tie-down devices to hold the cords tight. Check that inner cord stops have been installed. See childcare related website list for a link to the latest blind cord safety information.
- CLOTHING DRAWSTRINGS: Be sure there are no drawstrings around the hood and neck of children's outerwear clothing. Other types of clothing fasteners, like snaps, zippers, or hook and loop fasteners (such as Velcro) should be used.
- RECALLED PRODUCTS: Check that no recalled products are being used and that a current list of recalled children's products is readily visible.
Content provided with permission from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
If you would like to talk to a Partners EAP Consultant for assistance with issues related to child care, please call 866-724-4EAP.
In case of emergency, please call 911 or your local hospital emergency service.
This content was last modified on: 03/21/2017